Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.

My female boar goat has diareha what can i give her stop it

Customer Question

my female boar goat has diareha what can i give her stop it
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome, I am Dr. B and would like to help you today. How long has she had diarrhea?Why products did you specially use?How is she otherwise?When was she last wormed?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I wormed her with ivemc about a week ago and the with cydectrain two days a go .I have given her anti diareal called biosponge made platinum performance inc. She is eating her hay, drinking and eating some grain. Shes alert and I just started a generic antibiotic for her
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
Thank you,Now it sounds like you have made a good start here. Though as I am sure you are aware, there are a wide range of agents (viruses, bacteria, protozoa, parasites, nutritional, toxins, etc) that can cause scouring in our goats. So, if she isn't settling with the worming nor the products you have tried, we need to focus on those other issues.With this in mind, the best next step would be to have a stool sample tested. This could be ideal as it can help us pinpoint any infectious agent present and ensure we can treat it as effectively and economically as possible.Otherwise, you have the right idea here. If this has been going on a wee while, we can certainly use a broad spectrum antibiotic at this stage Most often we’d use Spectinomycin (Spectam, Scour-halt) or Penicillin. Further to that though, I’d also suggest starting a goat specific probiotics. This will help rebalance the good gut bacteria and can help settle mild bacterial infections.As well, further to the anti-diarrheals you tried, I’d suggest using OTC Kaolin/Kaopectate or even Pepto Bismol (0.5 teaspoon per 10lbs of body weight every 8 hours) as a short term anti-diarrhea treatment. Furthermore, increasing her hay/roughage will also help bulk up her stools and help reduce this diarrhea.Overall, it sounds like you are on the right track but that her diarrhea is being triggered by something that hasn’t been sensitive to what you have used thus far. So, we’d want to add in a broad spectrum antibiotic and the above to see if we can get her settled. And if this lingers, testing a stool sample can help us pinpoint the cause so we can better target treatment and get them settled. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
How is everything going with your lass?Dr. B.