Dr-Bonk
Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian
Experience:  Five years as a veterinarian performing farm calls for livestock, including herd health checks, vaccinations, and pregnancy testing. Also operate a small cow/calf operation.
92155571

I have a large cow (1500) with a "large" growth under her chin.

Customer Question

I have a large cow (1500) with a "large" growth under her chin. she has been dewormed periodically. she is haven trouble chewing grain. she seems to have no trouble picking grass. any guesses?
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 6 months ago.
Hi, I'm Dr. Bonk. I'm sorry to hear about your cow's troubles. There are a couple of causes for growths under the chin. If the lump is firm and seems to involve the bones of the jaw, it is most likely what is called 'Lumpy Jaw.' This is an infection or abscess caused by a bacteria called Actinomyces. The bacteria are usually introduced to the bone through an injury or more commonly by an abrasion from a grass or weed seed. The abscess gets into the bones and causes a large, firm lump that can affect chewing.The treatment for Lumpy Jaw is sodium iodide giving IV at least once, but repeated as needed. Antibiotics such as penicillin are typically given at the same time. This helps stops the spread of the infection, however, the lumps usually won't go away.If the lump is soft, chances are it is an abscess in the skin or underlying tissue. This happens due to the same causes as above, the difference is that bone isn't involved yet. If the abscess is in the soft tissue, it can be lanced, drained and flushed with an iodine solution. Penicillin can be given as well.A less likely cause would be some form of tumor. If this is the case, the treatment would be culling.I hope this helps. Please contact me with any further questions you may have. Thank you and good luck!
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr-Bonk