Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.
60269376

Piglet has breathing issues how much penicillin to give JA:

Customer Question

piglet has breathing issues how much penicillin to give
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the piglet?
Customer: breathing heaving likley a upper respiratory infection
JA: There are all sorts of infestations the piglet can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the piglet's name and age?
Customer: he is two and half months old
JA: What is the piglet's name?
Customer: jake
JA: Huh?
Customer: did you want what tye?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the piglet?
Customer: breathing heavy
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. In regards ***** ***** question, you can given 6,000 i.u. per kilogram of body weight daily.Further to this though, we do need to reduce his congestion and help him breath better. In regards ***** ***** with that at home, you can also steam treat Jake. To do so, you can take him in the bathroom while you run a hot shower. The steam will help loosen and clear some of the snot congesting him. You can also use a baby nebulizer/humidifier, though since they don’t like things held up to their faces, consider making him a steam tent (with him in a pet carrier, the humidifier next to it and a thin bed sheet over both).As well, if he is building up mucus that the steam isn't shifting, you can use non-medicated saline nasal drops (ie Little Noses, Ocean Mist) to further reduce discharge build up. To do so, just tilt his head back and drop 2-3 drops in one nostril. Piglets don't like this either, but it helps. After the drops go down, you can let the head up and wipe away any discharge that gets loosened. Then repeat with the other nostril to help get his upper airway clear and help him breath easier. Of course, if his signs are very severe, it may be worth having his local vet start bronchodilators, anti-inflammatories +/- put him on oxygen until the Penicillin can start tackling the infection. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
very helpful
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** wishes to you both,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.