CountryDoc
CountryDoc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Experienced mixed animal veterinarian
16703648

We have already lost one of our males. We were told he had

Customer Question

We have already lost one of our males. We were told he had bloat.. We tried mineral oil, cooking oil, baking soda, & C&D antitoxin. He was very swollen, hard in the left side, quit eating, etc. Classic signs of bloat but Tx didn't work. Now one of our nursing females is starting to look bloated... help!
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the large animal's name and age?
Customer: Moon pie is 4 years old. She gave birth to 2 kids 2 weeks ago. The kids look great and are eating. Our billy died 3 days ago. Is there something going on...?
JA: The Veterinarian will not be able resurrect the billy. What is the billy's name?
Customer: His name was Jimmy.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jimmy?
Customer: I don't think so. He was fine then he started swelling up. Like I said, he looked and acted like he had bloat.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me: What tests were done to diagnose his bloat?Where his gums or the current doe's gums pale/white as opposed to pink?Have either had scours?Are they up to date on clostridial vaccinations?