CountryDoc
CountryDoc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Experienced mixed animal veterinarian
16703648

My Hereford cow has a growth on her left eye. How should I

Customer Question

My Hereford cow has a growth on her left eye. How should I treat it?
Massett Farms
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dan C., DVM replied 6 months ago.
Good Morning, and thanks for the question.Sorry to hear about Gert’s condition, but I’m hoping that I can help you with a solution. To do so, I need a bit more information concerning the growth on her eye. There are multiple types of growths that can occur near or on eyes, and specific growths require specific treatments. So, a few questions for you:1): How long has the growth been present?2): Where is the growth located in relation to the eye (on or inside of the eyelid, on the skin surrounding the eye, on the eye itself, etc.)?3): Is it increasing in size or changing shape?4): Does it cause any type of reaction from the eye, such as a fluid discharge, squinting, redness, itching, irritation, etc.?5): Is there any possibility that you could send a photo of the growth? That would be of the greatest help, as I may be able to identify the type of growth immediately.Many thanks, ***** *****’m looking forward to hearing from you.-Dan C., DVM.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Dan:
The growth has been there for about two months. It is in the eyeball itself and in the corner of the eye a yellow discharge is present. I can have my son-in-law send you a picture as I don't have a camera. The growth is about one half an inch to three quarters of an inch long and in the white of the eye, right next to the colored part of the eye. At first I thought it might be a piece of hay stuck into the eyeball but now I doubt that.
How should I have the picture sent ? Thanks.
Tom
Thanks for the reply, Tom.To send a photo, there should be an attachment icon on your response window, similar to the way you would add an attachment to an email. If you have more questions, contact customer support and they can guide you through the process. Yes, based on your description, a photo could be of great help. Is Gert squinting the affected eye at all? Does this seem to bother her? What color is the growth?Let me know about the photo. Hopefully you can post it without problems. Another option is to use an online photo sharing platform such as “Photobucket”. This is where you can post a photo and send me a link.-Dan C., DVM.
P.S.: I’ll be away from my computer for a little while, as I’m out to feed my own critters!
Hello again, Tom:I’ve just been called out for an emergency and will be offlne for approximately 90 minutes, give or take a few. I’ll be checking for your responses as soon as I return.Apologies for the inconvenience.-Dan C., DVM.