Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating large animals of all kinds.

We have a sick ewe. She has been losing weight, has one drooping

Customer Question

We have a sick ewe. She has been losing weight, has one drooping ear, one running eye (both on left side) and and is struggling with walking. She is lethargic and struggling to eat. No vet close by.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the ewe. What is the ewe's name and age?
Customer: She is a hair sheep and her age is unknown to us as she was given to us a couple of years ago from a farmer reducing his flock.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the sheep?
Customer: She has a 5 month old lamb and was showing signs of illness 6 weeks ago. At that time her temp was within normal range, so we wormed her and just watched. She seemed to not get a lot better but not get worse either.
JA: What is the lamb's name?
Customer: Why?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 5 months ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. These symptoms mimic either a stroke or an infection affecting a part of the spinal cord. The fact that she struggles to walk tells us that this may be neurologic in nature and this could be due to infection or trauma. The first thing to do is to start her on aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs to help decrease the inflammation that may be interfering with nerve supply. Also, cover her with antibiotics. penicillin G can be purchased at the farm supply and is given by injection sub Q as 1 cc per 20 pounds of her weight every 12 hrs. If this is not enough to help with the symptoms, you will have to have a vet examine her to know what may be causing this distress. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta