Dr H
Dr H, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian at RAH

I just noticed my 6 year old Nubian/Boar doe (never been bred)

Customer Question

I just noticed my 6 year old Nubian/Boar doe (never been bred) has an enlarged udder.\
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the boar's name?
Customer: Weasey
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Weasel?
Customer: Weasie - not really. She is a bit overweight...a pampered pet.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr H replied 5 months ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. H, a primarily companion animal veterinarian, but I notice you haven't received a reply yet, and may be able to answer your question.It sounds like your young-middle aged doe has an enlarged udder with no possiblity of being pregnant/bred. How large is the udder? Is it painful to the touch, warm or discolored?Is she eating and otherwise acting normally?The most likely possibilities for the udder enlargement are: 1. Mammary adenocarcinoma (cancer of the mammary gland)2. Idiopathic lactogenesis (she starts lactating for no known reason/without pregnancy)3. Mastitis (infection of the mammary gland)Typically, if cancer or idiopathic lactogenesis are present, surgery is the typical treatment (removal of the mammary gland or spaying). For mastitis, this disease is sometimes surgical, but typically medical treatment with antibiotics is the first line treatment. You can try a "wait and see" approach if mastitis is not present to see if the udder size goes down. I'd advise you have your veterinarian check her for the above. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )