Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.

2 40 pd goats ate 40 ounces of morantel-tartrate should this

Customer Question

2 40 pd goats ate 40 ounces of morantel-tartrate should this be a problem
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help. Now as I am sure you can appreciate, this is quite a concern. You have not listed the concentration/strength (milligrams per ounce) but if they have had anywhere over >200 mg/kg, then this could be fatal. Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** signs to watch for, we’d need to be wary of GI upset (vomiting, drooling, diarrhea, etc) but most importantly wobbliness, any changes in breathing, tremors, or seizures. If we see any of that, we’d want to have these goats seen by your local vet for Atropine and symptomatic care to counter these signs. Otherwise, if they aren’t showing signs, we can try to bind this overdose with activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from your local farm shop, vets, or pharmacy (but ask for the high strength version in grams, not the one for gas since you will need a lot of these) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here. Overall, this is a worrying situation as we can see toxicity in large doses and signs can be serious. Therefore, I would advise the above now if you aren't seeing signs and getting them to the vet for treatment if you are. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
Hello again,How is everything going with your wee ones?Dr. B.