Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.
60269376

I have a kid goat that I gave ivermectin to first time

Customer Question

I have a kid goat that I gave ivermectin to for the first time and now he is not breathing well and won't walk
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No he is foaming at mouth
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the goat?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help. Now I have to say that I am quite concerned about your lad. The signs you have reported don't quite fit with Ivermectin toxicity (and usually it takes overdoses of >4mg/kg to cause signs). Usually we will see disorientation, wobbliness, lethargy, tremors, seizures, coma, and blindness. We can see them struggling to rise as you have reported, but again the breathing and foaming don't fit. Instead, this is more suspicious of a lung based infection, airway obstruction, or severe anemia from worms reaching a critical point. Therefore, this does sound like more that a toxicity we'd need to ride out with symptomatic care. Instead, since he is struggling to breathe and that is a critical life process that you cannot readily support at home, I do feel this little one needs to be seen by your local vet. They can give oxygen to stabilize him and then pinpoint the root causes for his signs and give us the best chance of helping him. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )