How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. B. Your Own Question
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 15706
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.
Type Your Large Animal Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My llama died suddenly.trying to determine whether the other

Customer Question

my llama died suddenly.trying to determine whether the other 2 are at risk. no obvious wounds. recently planted 1 grape plant. are grape leaves toxic enough to kill a healthy 15 year old llama. What are the other possibiites?
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help. Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you. Still, I did want to let you know that a grape plant would not have caused sudden death for Cici. Instead, we'd need to be considering other issues like organ dysfunction (ie kidney, liver, heart, etc), metabolic disease, toxic exposures (ie moldy food, dangerous plants, chemicals, heavy metals, etc) or possible infection (ie bacterial, viral, or parasitic, etc). Though for infection differentials, unless we are consider the Clostridial bacteria or nasty parasites like Parelaphostrongylus spp, the majority would have given you more signs before her passing.Overall, the grape plant is a red herring and not likely to be out culprit as long as it wasn't treated in any terrible pesticides. In any case, if we did want to assess any risk to the others, then an autopsy would be best if she gave you no other clues prior to passing. That way we can determine what caused her death and would then be able to take steps to effectively protect the rest if need be. Please take care,Dr. B.

Related Large Animal Veterinary Questions