Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian
Experience:  Five years as a veterinarian performing farm calls for livestock, including herd health checks, vaccinations, and pregnancy testing. Also operate a small cow/calf operation.

What can be done to help a newborn calf get started on a mama

Customer Question

What can be done to help a newborn calf get started on a mama cow with swollen udders?
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 5 months ago.
Hi, I'm Dr. Bonk. First thing, you've got to make sure the calf got some colostrum. You can either try to milk some out of the cow and bottle feed it to the calf or buy the colostrum mix. Next, you will want to milk out the teats enough to reduce the size to where the calf can get around it. You may have to do this 2-3 times a day for a few days until the calf is strong enough to do it himself. The calves do usually figure it out and are able to manage it themselves within a few days. Be sure to watch the cow closely for any signs of mastitis (redness, firmness, painful udder). If the calf isn't able to empty the udder with its feedings, mastitis could be an issue.I hope this helps. Please contact me with any further questions you may have. Thank you and good luck!
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** some colostrum into the calf and it seems to be doing well. I penned them up tight together which seemed to help too. I think I'm in the clear, mama & calf seem to be getting along well.
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 5 months ago.
Great! Just keep an eye on them until you're sure things are okay and they should be fine!