Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing veterinarian with over 20 years experience in a mixed animal practice.

I had a question regarding footrot in sheep. I found

Customer Question

I had a question regarding footrot in sheep. I found footnote after trimming my recently purchased Tunis ewe. I've been using topicals including Zinc and Kopertox for 2 months without improvement. I've trimmed the hoof extensively and keep her in at night to provide a clean and dry environment for at least part of the day. While my pasture is wet this spring she does not stand in mud. I've had my vet look at her twice and was told that it was an abscess. Antibiotics were not recommended. I was advised to continue the Kopertox. I recently had her sheared and had the shearer examine her. He was certain it was foot rot as am I. He said that he has had great results with Zactran. But I can't get a prescription. I'm thinking of trying oxytetracycline. Have you had success with this and do have any other recommendations?
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I should add that the area in question is located in the toe portion of her front foot. Her sole is darkened is more vascular and has an odor. She was initially limping and for a period of time improved and the limp was barely noticeable. Now she is once again obviously limping.
Expert:  Dr Linda replied 6 months ago.
Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your problem today.I am so sorry for your concerns about foot rot in Haley. My biggest concern is that you have been fighting this for 2 months with no significant results. Either there is something else going on, or she is reinfecting herself each & every day going out into the same contaminated environment.If you want to try & get things under control, then I would not do any more trimming. Some studies have shown that this, at best does not help, & may make things worse.Next, you need to try & soak her feet for 30-60 minutes in a bath of 10% zinc sulfate to which you add about 0.2% laundry detergent containing sodium lauryl sulfate. This acts as a surfactant to help the zinc sulfate penetrate as deep as possible.You can also administer a dose of LA Oxytetracycline at 13.6mg per pound. This should last about 1 week.The next part might be harder. You need to house Haley in a completely clean area for 3 weeks, one where there have been no sheep. This can be a stall, or a dry lot area. Without this step, she will most likely just reinfect herself.Check her feet weekly, & repeat the foot bath if necessary.This is a lot of work, but after 2 months of home treatments, you may be looking at a tough time clearing this infection. Many times these animals will be culled because the infection just will not clear, & the risk of spread to other animals must be a consideration.You may also want to consider having her examined at a major large animal facility, perhaps even your state veterinary college. They will have experts in small ruminant medicine, & may come up with a quicker diagnosis & hopefully a good treatment plan for Haley.I hope find this information helpful. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.Thank you.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** been very helpful. I can and will do these measures as I only have two sheep and would like to keep them. To do the foot bath, is there a product that you recommend? I looked into doing this before and find strange products when I search zinc seems it can be used for dusting fruit trees and removing moss from roofs. I have been using Dr. Naylors Hoof and Heal topically but see that it is available in a gallon size. Would this be appropriate to use for the foot bath? And would you bathe all four feet or only the affected foot?
Expert:  Dr Linda replied 6 months ago.
I was not familiar with the Dr. Naylor's treatment, but it looks just right. I would get the gallon, pour it into a shallow pan & stand all 4 feet in it for the 30-60 minutes. But again, the key is to walk into a clean, dry area. Any moisture will dilute the treatment.Otherwise, you would need to get 8 lbs. of the zinc sulfate & mix with 10 gallons of water to get the 10%w/v solution.Give the oxytet., & hopefully with strict confinement, you will begin to see improvement in her foot.I hope this works for her.
Expert:  Dr Linda replied 5 months ago.
Hi Katie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Haley. How is everything going?

Dr Linda