CountryDoc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Experienced mixed animal veterinarian

Our 8 week old goat got her head stuck in the fence again but

Customer Question

Our 8 week old goat got her head stuck in the fence again but this time she bit her lip or tongue. Should I take her to a vet now or wait til morning? Bleeding had stopped and she did eat but worried about her needing stitches?
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She is my daughters 4H goat
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 6 months ago.
Hi, I'm Dr. Bonk. I'm sorry to hear about Leaps. If you think the injury is bad enough for stitches you should go to the vet now. Stitches work best within 6 hours after the injury. If the injury is older than that, the vet will have trim tissue away to make fresh edges. Also, tongues and lips are prone to bleeding so stitching the injury closed would be best to prevent any future bleeding.Finally, since Leaps is a 4H goat, you may want to get her stitched for cosmetic reasons.I hope this helps. Please contact me with any further questions you may have. Thank you and good luck!