Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating large animals of all kinds.
16881297

I have an uncut boar and my husband went out this morning and

Customer Question

I have an uncut boar and my husband went out this morning and noticed his urine is really yellow and he said while he was going to the bathroom he noticed his intestines came out slightly, so I'm not sure what is going on or what I should do ???
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 9 months ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. Poor Fluffy has some form of a hernia that can become very serious. There is nothing elese that you can do except to find a vet that can repair this hernia. The fact that some of the abdominal contents can be released tells us that with time, these will come out and will eventually kill Fluffy if this is not repaired. You did not mention where your husband saw this...it can come into the scrotum or out the umbilicus. A perineal hernia is the most likley cause for this and is fairly common in un neutered boars. He will have to be castrated along with the hernia repair and this is no easy feet. Contact your vet as soon as possible before something terrible happens. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Well to put it lightly he saw it come out while he was pooping and when he was done it just went back in !!
What would cause the hernia ???
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I read up more on the hernia! Thank you just was curious the reason he would get a hernia?
If the intestinal tract came out his anus, then the hernia must be inside the colon or the colon is prolapsing which is much less serious. Straining of any form can cause a hernia but seeing this inside the colon is very unusual. IN any case, this is a life threatening situation and will require treatment and surgery to repair this. If this is a prolaspe where the colon is showing inside out from straining, then your vet will have to repair this by suturing the anus closed to keep the colon from coming inside out.....this seems more likely the problem with Fluffy and this is good because this is easier to repair.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok Thank you I will have to talk to my husband more he only gave me a short description and I was sent to find and answer,!!! So thank you again
Good for you! Have your husband watch Fluffy ( what a funny name for a boar!!) LOL!...he may be able to tell if what he saw was the colon turning inside out causing a prolapse of the colon or if it is actually intestines coming from the anus. Good luck!
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The kids named him haha!!! And I will do !!!
I should have known...too funny!!! Please let me know...I am happy to help!