Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.

My 28 year old alpaca was kicked by our horse his leg appears

Customer Question

My 28 year old alpaca was kicked by our horse his leg appears to be broken we are waiting on a vet...its calving season in Montana so it could be a couple hours we are trying to keep him comfortable what can I give him? Can he have Bute?
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Now Bute isn't ideal since it is not licensed and it is actually reported to have very short duration of action (2 hours) for this species. Still, as your lad is in severe discomfort, you can choose to give this orally at a dose of 5mg per kilogram of his body weight until his vet can get to him and provide a longer lasting option. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )