Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating large animals of all kinds.
16881297

Can I use ***** ***** vet on horses JA: Thanks. Can you give

Customer Question

can I use ***** ***** vet on horses
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: have a horse with a cough an running nose. Can I use Terre Vet
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Large Animal Vets generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 7 months ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. I am so sorry but Terre Vet is not available but I would like to help. This time of year, horses will often get allergies and have a mild cough and running nose. If the runny nose is clear, then this is a good sign that this is merely an allergic reaction that will respond to Benadryl given at 0.5 mg per pound every 12 hrs. If the discharge is yellow or puslike, this could be an Upper Respiratory Infection common during this time of year also. This is a bit more serious and will require testing and treatment by your vet. You should isolate this horse from the others until you are sure what is causing this...allergies or infection. There are antibiotics that can be purchased at the farm supply but, unfortunately, these are not the correct antibiotics against a Respiratory infection. Only your vet can prescribe this for you. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****