Dr-Bonk
Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian
Experience:  Five years as a veterinarian performing farm calls for livestock, including herd health checks, vaccinations, and pregnancy testing. Also operate a small cow/calf operation.
92155571

One of our goats stopped eating a few days ago and is hardly

Customer Question

One of our goats stopped eating a few days ago and is hardly moving. She has diarrhea also. At first I thought bloat but now I'm not sure.
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. What is the goat's name and age?
Customer: Daisy 2 years
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Daisy?
Customer: We changed feed last week but quickly changed back when they didn't like it.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 7 months ago.
Hi, I'm Dr. Bonk. I'm sorry to hear about Daisy's troubles. What do you normally feed and what did you change the feed too? Sometimes a change in feed can cause rumen acidosis which is a change in the pH of the rumen. This kills off the normal rumen microbes and allows others to grow. This change in bacteria causes a disruption in the rest of the GI tract leading to diarrhea, changes in blood pH, and possibly soreness in the feet. The typical treatment is drenching with baking soda and water to increase the rumen pH up to a more normal level. Fluids and electrolytes need to be administered to rehydrate and neutralize the acidosis.Other possibilities would be something infectious but typically if this is the case, other goats would be affected too. If she is so sick that she is unable to get up, it would be best to have her seen by a vet.I hope this helps. Please contact me with any further questions you may have. Thank you and good luck!
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 7 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr-Bonk