Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.
60269376

3 day old calf was about dead, milked cow out bag was full

Customer Question

3 day old calf was about dead, milked cow out bag was full of blood. To save the calf I gave it Draxxin yesterday, drenched calf replacer calf now up and doing well, then this afternoon it looks like both eyes are clouded and the calf seems blind.
Question what could cause the blindness and is there anything I can do to reverse it
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.In regards ***** ***** question, bilateral clouding of the eyes is most often associated with corneal edema and inflammation. Provided the eyes were normal at birth and there is no sign of swelling/distortion of the face (from soft tissue inflammation, hematomas or abscesses) preventing normal lid closure; then this is most common caused by bacterial (ie Moraxella bovis, listeria, histophilius, mycoplasma, etc), viral, or fungal infection (ie herpes, BVD). Of course, we can also see this secondary to ocular trauma and foreign bodies. Less commonly it can be a feature of abnormal lid positioning (where they run the eye or present closure), genetic disease (ie genetically induced zinc deficinecy) , conditions preventing them from blinking their eyes normally, and meningitis.With all this in mind, as long as we are seeing no distortion, blinking issues, or neurological signs; further to the Draxxin we can start this calf on an ocular eye treatment. Generally speaking, we will use an ointment with gentamicin, or a combination oxytetracycline/polymyxin B ointment. This will cover most bacterial causes and also help keep the eyes lubricated. Of course, while treating this, we will want to keep up on feeding the calf if mum has mastitis to ensure we keep his nutrition and energy levels up to help fight this. Though if his signs do not settle with antibiotic treatment, we’d want to consider having your local vet involved to rule out those other causes, cautiously consider anti-inflammatories to reduce the edema, and help get this lad settled.Please take care,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )