CountryDoc
CountryDoc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Experienced mixed animal veterinarian
16703648

6 week old bottle lamb on replacer randomly started shaking while

Customer Question

6 week old bottle lamb on replacer randomly started shaking while eating twice last week. He received a CDT 3 weeks ago and a tetanus booster yesterday. He was eating 7 or 8 ounces 5 times a day but at 2:30 this morning he started backing off - 4 ounces then, 6 oz at 0730, 4 oz at 1230 and nothing since. He is refusing to eat and when he did eat, he started shaking every time. He has also not been near as playful as normal when I took him out to the paddock. He is currently indoors on an enclosed porch most of the time. We had previously arranged to bring home a 1 wk old bottle baby this evening and when we got him here this evening, the 6 week old completely flipped out and is so terrified of him he was jumping about 6 feet high and literally bouncing off the walls of the porch. I was forced to put the week old lamb in a dog crate to get the other to calm down. I gave 10cc of a 1 tsp ginger to 2 Tbs water per advice from another 'sheep' person to combat possible bloat and also gave him a 10cc soapy water enema which resulted in two grape size drops of feces within minutes. He also has free access to hay, white salt block, mineral block, loose sheep minerals, sheep pellets, baking soda in case of tummy upset and water. Any ideas what his issues may be?
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me: Has he been producing stool regularly? Is it normal or black/loose/bloody?Are his gums pink or pale/white?Has he had any teeth grinding, flank kicking or watching?Has he look bloated or have any belly tenderness?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I ended up having to call my regular vet this morning. But to answer your questions: I hadn't seen much stool so he had a 10cc soapy enema last night that produced 3 large grape size clumps of stool. By this morning it was pellets again. Gums are pink but Iwas surprised he has a black tongue(He's a Mouflon so I don't know if that is normal) Grinds teeth often, didn't look very bloated or have tenderness. BUT as I was feeding the week old and trying to get this one to eat around 3 or so this morning, I suddenly realized all the pee pads were still dry on the porch and I had not seen him urinate since lunch yesterday. He will be seen at 10 this morning by the small ruminant vet to examine for blockage. As soon as it hit me, I knew he needed seen ASAP just in case. Thanks for your reply though. Much appreciated.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
You are very welcome.Though since you have had him seen, I will send your question back to customer service for a refund.Take care,Dr. B.