Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.

He has blood in urine and swollen testicles JA: I'm sorry

Customer Question

He has blood in urine and swollen testicles
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the large animal's name and age?
Customer: 4 months old. His name is***** our boar
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: No
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. How long has he had these signs?Are the testicles painful when palpated? Do they feel firm or fluidy?Any fever?How long has he been on the Penicillin?Is he straining to pass urine?Passing a normal volume or small amounts often?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No fever
He's been on penicillin for 2 days. Haven't tried to examine the testicles yet.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Starts out slow on urine than goes the normal but with blood. Husband noticed 5 days before he mentioned it
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you,First if you haven't checked his testes, this would be advisable at this point. Especially as it can help us narrow down potential causes for what we are seeing with Billy. Now in this situation, we do need to tread with care. This is because we can see these kinds of signs associated with conditions affecting a single boar but we can see them associated with some infectious agents that can be spread to other pigs. To start, one very important reason to palpate the testes is because we need to see if they are reducible. By this, I mean whether we can gently push the swelling back into the body cavity. If we can, then we may be looking at a scrotal hernia. This is where the intestines and abdominal contents are able to slip through the connection between the scrotum and body and thus making this area look swollen. Now these are uncommon but when present tend to need to be surgically addressed since medical treatment won't address this. If we can rule that out, then we'd need to consider our more common issues. Specifically, we can see hematomas (blood accumulation) from testicular trauma but even more often this type of presentation will be related to a bacterial or viral orchitis or epididymitis. Other concerns would also include focal cellulitis and when we have foreign body reactions in the tissues (though often only one testicle would be affected with that). Most of these would respond to you antibiotic choice, though we'd want to also consider a pig safe anti-inflammatory (ie Meloxicam, Ketoprofen, Flunixin, Carprofen, etc) especially if the stream starts slow (a sign of possible urethral/bladder inflammation). Just to note, don't be tempted to use Aspirin here since it is a blood thinner and could worsen that bleeding into the urine we are seeing. Finally, while hopefully less likely, we do need to be wary of infectious agents. The major ones are Brucellosis and paramyxovirus virus. The likelihood of the first would be based on your location (as it is more common in some regions) but for both if we were to see a lack of response to broad spectrum then we'd want to plan to follow up with his vet for testing. They can make sure these are not an issue and also sample the testes to confirm our concerns. Based on that, they can then start further targeted treatment if needed to help us settle this for Billy. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Just checking in, how is everything going?Dr. B.