Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.
60269376

I have a Angus/Herford cross cow (black with white face)

Customer Question

I have a Angus/Herford cross cow (black with white face) that has something wrong with her eye socket (the eye looks ok)
I have pictures. how do I send you a picture. I have real doubts this is pink eye because of the time of the year, the breed, and the fact that the eye ball is clear.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. If you can post your photos, that would be great. To do so, you can use the paper clip icon above your text box. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, just post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc)and paste the web link here for me follow.Otherwise, does she have any discharge? What color?Are you seeing a swelling? Hard, soft, or fluidy?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
discharge is significant as has been for weeks-clear/white, no swelling except the lower eyelid, have not touched it
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you,First, I agree that this isn't pink eye. Though I'd not be surprised if some of the discharge is secondary to a bacterial conjunctivitis. Instead, with the swelling and discharge appearance this looks more suspicious of a peri-obital abscess. And if we have an abscess in the soft tissue behind the eye (which could be due to a tracking foreign body, previous wound, or tooth root abscess), this will be pressing the eye forward leading to the chemosis (that red conjunctival inflammation peeking up from the bottom) and the irritation in the eye.In this case, the first step is to get this lass on a broad spectrum antibiotics +/- anti-inflammatory. The most straight forward option would be to use Hexasol (More Info) as it combines both Oxytetracycline with Flunixin. Otherwise, we could have her local vet dispense alternatives if needed.Though we do need to keep a close eye here. Since it is draining, we'd hope that by treating the infection this will settle. Though with so much pus ad this ongoing for a wee while, it we didn't see it settle with broad spectrum therapy, then we'd need to think about having her local vet lance and drain this for her +/- culture a sample of the pus (in case she has a weird resistant bacterial strain triggering this for her).Overall, this isn't a characteristic pink eye. Instead, the eye is essentially in the wrong place at the wrong time if you know what I mean. Instead, this is highly suggestive of an abscess underlying this area. Therefore, we'd want to treat the infection, monitor the eye (you can flush it with OTC first aid eye wash to try and at least reduce the pus pouring into it), and hopefully we can settle this with antibiotics. Of course, if it lingers (especially since its been festering a while), we'd need her vet to drain it +/- address the underlying cause to settle this for her. Please take care,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Having a hard time locating the Hexasol .
tried putting in order from Norbrook's website- no response
going to Tractor Supply store and try (their website says they have some Norbrook)
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Hello again,If you are struggling, then a separate Oxytetracycline and Flunixin is fine as well. I do just try to keep things as straight forward as possible when we have the option to.All the best,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Hi again,Now the reason for my questions is because to see a lump on one side and pus draining from the other is highly suspicious of a severe diffuse abscess. The most common cause will be other cats, but we do on occasion see these in cats that have had a recent wound in the area, broken their own skin with scratching, or if there is anal gland involvement. In all cases, this will be understandably sore and quite uncomfortable for him. And if it is allowed to heal without removing the infection, it will recur as you have see. Though thankfully he can move that leg since otherwise we’d also have to be worried about spinal or nerve involvement in this.With this all in mind and the fact it has healed and ruptured again already , we need to be proactive. To start, if he will let you, I would advise cleaning the wound with peroxide and/or diluted antiseptic (either chlorohexidine or iodine, both should be diluted to a weak tea like color). This should be done a three times a day, and discharges should be washed away. If he is amenable, you can also use a syringe (wo/ a needle) to flush the inside of the puncture hole where the discharge is originating. You may also need to carefully express the lump on the other side if the two are connected since a remaining pocket of pus will just refill and continue this cycle.Otherwise, since this is diffuse and lingering, we’d be best to also have his local vet dispense antibiotics at this point. This will let us treat from the outside in to settle this once and for all. As well, in regards ***** ***** soreness, we’d want his local vet to start cat safe pain relief (ie metacam) by injection and some to go home. We don’t want to use any human pain medications here since they are toxic and dangerous for cats (and rubbish for cat pain on top of it all) and would cause more problems (and some can even be fatal for them).Finally, if he is able to lick this area, we will need to think about the short term use of an e-collar. That way we can keep him from inoculating this further with bacteria from his mouth. You can get one from the pet store, or your vet.Overall, what you have reported sound like a persistent, chronic infection under the skin leading to drainage via that reopening wound. Therefore, we’d want to start the above but ring his vet for antibiotics to clear this from the inside outside and get this settled for him so he can comfortably use that leg again.Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have a COW not a CAT.
kindly discontinue our dialogue
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Hi again,I appreciate you do have a cow. As you can see I did answer you above my 2nd post. I do apologize but it seems the website is up to odd tricks since it has placed a reply to another question (a cat with an abscess) onto your page. So, I would ask you disregard that cat post since it was not intended for you and instead I noted our alternative if you cannot find Hexasol.Thank you for understanding,Dr. B.