Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian
Experience:  Five years as a veterinarian performing farm calls for livestock, including herd health checks, vaccinations, and pregnancy testing. Also operate a small cow/calf operation.

We have a Holstein with hard stool and somewhat off feed just

Customer Question

We have a Holstein with hard stool and somewhat off feed just freshened what to do?
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 6 months ago.
Hi, I'm Dr. Bonk. I'm sorry to hear about your cattle trouble. There is a product called Rumalax. It is a bolus you would give to the cow. It is a magnesium based laxative similar to milk of magnesia. There are also other powder products that you can mix with water and drench. One is Polyox. Most are sold in feed stores or veterinary clinics.If you are unable to find it, you can also give Epsom Salts. The easiest was is to dissolve them in water and drench the cow. A 1000 lb cow would take 1-2 lbs of Epsom salts. Mineral oil is another laxative but a bit trickier to give. The dose would be 1 gallon of mineral oil for an adult cow.Finally, you can increase her water intake by wetting her feed or adding apple juice or gatorade to the water.I hope this helps. Please contact me with any further questions you may have. Thank you and good luck!
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?