CountryDoc
CountryDoc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Experienced mixed animal veterinarian
16703648

My pot belly pig was neutered at about 10 wks, everything went

Customer Question

My pot belly pig was neutered at about 10 wks, everything went fine. He will be 1yr in June. About Dec he started leaving this really foul smelling odor where he lays, in my lap mostly. My Vet, Dr Lucero, Fl says they have a little pouch that holds very concentrated urine and that is what it is. He told me I could express it which I do. Research has mentioned the preputial diverticulum, and, that is holding the urine but can be removed.Would this solve the problem and how serious is the surgery? I don't want to loose him.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  HorseSurg replied 7 months ago.
Hi,Yes, this surgery can be done to help relieve the problem. It is relatively common in pigs and I have done this surgery before. You will probably want to look for a large animal surgeon - a veterinarian that is board certified as a surgeon. They will have the following letters after their name- DACVS-LA. These veterinarians have been trained to do surgery on large animals - even though your pot belly pig is relatively a small animal, these specially trained vets will have more experience usually in dealing with this - if your current vet isn't comfortable doing it? The surgery does not involve entering the abdomen so risks of internal issues are rare. The biggest risks you face are anesthesia related problems and then surgical site issues such as strictures in the preputial tissues. These are manageable and minimized if you can find an experienced surgeon. You can use the ACVS website to look for a diplomat in your area (www.acvs.org) or ask your vet for a referral, if they are not comfortable. University practices are also an excellent resource for these types of cases and often have more resources than a private practice would to ensure good anesthesia and surgical care. Hope this helps. Cheers
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** close to UF Gainesville, Fl
Great - they would be a good option. All the best!!!