Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.

Adult goat, very itchy, hair loss inside back and front legs.

Customer Question

Adult goat, very itchy, hair loss inside back and front legs. Appears to be itchy all over. Skin is pink not particularly dry or flaky. Don't see any obvious lesions. Only goat in herd of 14 that is affected.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: Thanks!
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help. Now to see skin changes and signs of this nature in one goat within a herd does raise a few concerns. Specifically, it can be a sign of issues that can only affect the individual (ie Contact dermatitis which could be to bedding or anything they are walking through ) or it can see a sign of infectious issues that this goat is prone to due to underlying immune suppression (which can be related to other internal infections, worms, flukes, etc). Now further to contact allergies, we do have more common issues that could cause hair loss, itching yet little change to the skin in these areas. The ones we'd be most concerned about are actually external parasites. In fact, Chorioptic mange, Trombidiosis, and lice all could cause the signs we are seeing. And again if this lad isn't as immune robust as the others, he may be the only one affected. That said, we could also see this with an opportunistic over growth of yeast (candida), fungal agents (ie ringworm, phycomycosis, etc) or with staphylococcal dermatitis (though this tends to cause crusts a clumping hair bases). Furthermore, I do have to note that if you live in an area where Parelaphostrongylus tenuis is endemic; this can also be a concern. Especially since that parasite is known to cause skin irritation in goats thought to be due to dorsal nerve root lesions. Overall, these signs do raise some serious concerns. Therefore, we could consider isolating him in a clean pen and treating for those internal and external parasite concerns. If we do so but he isn't settling, we may want to consider having his vet examine him. They can rule out our other differentials and if infectious agents are clear; then steroids could be used to halt the itch and help his skin to settle. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )