Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian
Experience:  Five years as a veterinarian performing farm calls for livestock, including herd health checks, vaccinations, and pregnancy testing. Also operate a small cow/calf operation.

I have several feeders i just bought one started to cough and

Customer Question

i have several feeders i just bought one started to cough and now even my older calfs are coughing what are my treatment options
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 6 months ago.
Hi, I'm Dr. Bonk. I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. The only OTC antibiotic available for respiratory issues in cattle is LA 200 (oxytetracycline). The dose is on the label and usually requires two doses given 48 hours apart. Prescription antibiotics available that work great on respiratory issues are Baytril and Nuflor. Nuflor gets quite spendy so it is usually reserved for the very sick ones. Resflor is another product that contains Banamine to help reduce fevers. It is spendy as well and they all require prescriptions from your veterinarian.If the coughing has just started and they are still eating and drinking well, you can try the LA 200. However, if they are showing reduced appetites and rapid breathing, you are going to want something stronger.Once you get them cleared up, it may be a good idea to vaccinate with a respiratory combination vaccine that contains BRSV, Pastuerella, IP3. Also, anything you can do to reduce dust in the lot and the feed will benefit them greatly.I hope this helps. Please contact me with any further questions you may have. Thank you and good luck!
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?