CountryDoc
CountryDoc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Experienced mixed animal veterinarian
16703648

My llama has recurring eye infections with partially inturned

Customer Question

my llama has recurring eye infections with partially inturned eyelashes. I have been cleaning his eyes with J&J baby shampoo and rinsinsing, gently pulling the eyelashes outword and putting Neo Poly Bac ointment into his eye but cannot get rid of the infection. Also, if you suggest another type of medication, canyoucall in the prescription. I live outside Lexington, ky in Nicholasville.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
This has been recurring on and off for a full year. He sleeps in his stall at night, which is bedded in shavings now (formally on straw) and cleaned every day. He free range roams on the property almost daily for part of the day and eats grass. He also is fed Mazzuri llama food twice a day. I rescued him almost 13 years ago and this is the first time he has had a health issue.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help. Now I am happy to advise you but must make you aware that prescriptions can only legally be called in by vets that have examined Dalai in person. Therefore, if you are looking for a prescription, then our site won't be able to aid you and do let me know so I can send your question back to customer service. Otherwise, if you wish to discuss his case and how to approach this, can you tell me: Have you been getting the shampoo into his eyes?Are both eyes affected? Any hazing or clouding of the eye?What color is the discharge?Where the shavings introduced after this started or before?Can you take a photo of this? If you can do so and post them online, it will let me see what you are seeing. To post them, you can either use the paper clip on the tool bar. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web address here for me to have a peek.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I will need a script. Thanks anyway.