Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.
60269376

I have a ram who gets diarrhea with no weight loss JA: I'm

Customer Question

I have a ram who gets diarrhea with no weight loss
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the ram's name and age?
Customer: Bedford and he is 2. I had him tested for Johnes which was negative
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: I did get him cleared up with much work using homeopathic herbs, unsure why this occurs
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. How long has he had diarrhea? How often does he get it?What does it look like?What other tests have you done?What homeopathic treatment was used specifically?What do you feed him? Is he on pasture?When was he last wormed and what did you use?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
How long has he had diarrhea? How often does he get it? He has had it for about 2 weeks, it appears he presents this in the springWhat does it look like? light brown loose stoolWhat other tests have you done? we tested for Johnes and his physical exam was normal. no other testsWhat homeopathic treatment was used specifically? kept him NPO, drench with solution of dill weed and epson salts. Used slippery elm with molasses, charcoal powder, garlicWhat do you feed him? Is he on pasture? he prior to diarrhea got small amount of grain and is now on pastureWhen was he last wormed and what did you use? wormed him last month used Cydectin
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.
Thank you,Now I am glad to hear that he hasn’t any weight loss, but if he is prone to diarrhea this time of year we do have a few concerns. Specifically, we could see this related to an opportunistic bacterial, viral or protozoal infection. That said, with the seasonality of his signs we'd be especially suspicious of this being triggered by the lush pasture, a surge in parasite load that is resistant to the Cydectin, and/or his having access to a plant he is choosing to nibble on plants he shouldn’t be (or anything treated with fertilizer). With this in mind, the first step would be to review what he has access to. If there are any odd plants or if the pasture was treated, we'd be best to restrict his access for the short term to see if this settles his signs. And I have to say that since a quick increase in lush pasture grazing can notoriously affect the stools we may be best to restrict his time on the pasture (perhaps even pen him for the short term) and increasing his access to hay/high-fiber roughage. This will bulk up his stools and reduce diarrhea no matter the cause but often is all we need to settle pasture induced diarrhea. While doing this, you can continue your treatments or I would note that we can often slow diarrhea further to fiber by using Kaolin/Kaopectate (often available OTC online or at farm supply shops). As well, you could also use Pepto Bismol (at a dose of 0.5 teaspoon per 10lbs of body weight every 8 hours). Of course, do avoid Pepto if you continue to use slipper elm as both act on similar GI pathways Whichever you choose to use, do make sure to also consider treating with a probiotic supplement at this stage to help normalize his gut bacteria and support proper digestion here. If you use the above but his signs linger, I would advise that a full fecal analysis would be ideal. We’d want to have a sample to his local vet or vet lab for testing. It can be checked for pathogenic bacteria and determine the culprits sensitivity so we can treat it effectively. As, well, it can be analysed for viruses, protozoa and parasites and again we can treat based on what is found. Just to note, in case you are keen and have a microscope, you can at least check for our parasitic concerns. For a good guide to doing so, I would advise a peek @ http://www.rvc.ac.uk/review/Parasitology/RuminantEggs/Common.htm That way we can ensure there is no resistance to your wormers causing the signs we are seeingOverall, since there are an army of agents that can cause diarrhea in sheep (just as with people), therefore we do need to take a step-by-step approach. So, do keep up the good work with what you have tried before but also consider the above steps and consider having a stool sample tested if this persists so you know what is there and can target your treatment to clear it for good. All the best, ***** you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
the odd thing is he is with another ram who is asymptomatic. It is a pasture that is for the sheep only which is clean no chemicals used on that area so it is strange. I will keep on him with all my treatments and see what happens.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.
Hi again
I am glad it's pesticide free and do use the above especially since reacting to pasture richness can be quite an individual issue and often only targets one or two sheep in any given flock.
All the best,
Dr. B
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for speaking with me.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.
You are very welcome, my dear. :)Take care and best wishes to you both,Dr. B.-------------------------------------------------------- **Please do rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.
Hi Brenda,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.