Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating large animals of all kinds.

I am Kayla from Kansas. I have a baby calf that was about

Customer Question

Hi...I am Kayla from Kansas. I have a baby calf that was about a week old and I brought him in because he was getting weak and not getting up to feed. I got him going again and the next day his left eye started bleeding in the front corner and started developing some pressure and bugging out. That night it was all caked over with blood and really bulging. I talked to our local vet and treated him with biomiocin, antioxidant c&d, and tylosin. His eye has gotten better but now he is weak and is hardly eating and won't get up. I am afraid it is some type of contagious disease to watch out for.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the baby. Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: No I don't think so.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 6 months ago.
Good Morning Kayla and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. There are many calves, Kayla, that are born with a suppressed immune system and it appears that this calf may be one of these. The eye issue is probably an abscess behind the eye which the antibiotcs were able to resolve but now he will require supportive care along with continued antibiotics in case he has this suppressed immune system. Give him BOSE available at the farm supply, one dose and then a second dose in a few days in case this is White Muscle Disease which is a vitamin E/Selenium deficiency. Forse feed him milk and give electrolytes in between to be sure he remains hydrated. Make sure he gets up even if you have to pick him up to get his muscles and ligaments working. This will take some work and time, Kayla, but this is all you can do to help this little guy...if you are consistent , he may regain strength but that will be up to you. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****