Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating large animals of all kinds.

I have a cow about 1,000lbs she was bloated stuck her between

Customer Question

I have a cow about 1,000lbs she was bloated stuck her between the third and fourth rib down about a third of the way from her spine and let the air out using a garden hose. She started looking good for most of the next day. We gave her antibiotics also. The feed store said i should give her sone cal-mag so I gave her a tube of it in her mouth , I also brought her water. But 24 hrs later she is laying over on her side again and not looking good. did I do right ??????
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 6 months ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. The better thing to do for your gal is to give by a stomach tube, 1 gallon of mineral oil. This will neutralize the gas producing bacteria to stop this process. You did good releasing the gas but did not give her anything to stop this process. Giving the Ca-Mag would be helpful if the gas producing bacteria had been neutralized. At this point, try giving her the gallon of Mineral Oil and give Banamine to her to decrease the inflammation. The fact that she is down and will nto get up is not a good sign but nothing you did caused this. Try to get her up even if you have to use a hot shot so the bloat can be contained and you can give the oil.....this is the only thing that may save her, if we are not too late. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****
Hi Sherman,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta