Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating large animals of all kinds.

My pig is making a new sound, like she is in pain and has diarrhea.

Customer Question

My pig is making a new sound, like she is in pain and has diarrhea. she is tightening her stomach when she makes this sound. My vet is not open and I don't know what to do.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the pig's name and age?
Customer: coco 5years old
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: there may be blood in her stool
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 6 months ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. It appears that your gal has a digestive disturbance possibly from something odd that she may have ingested. The treatment for this is as follows: Give Pepto Bismol at 1 tablespoon per 5 pounds of her weight every 8 hrs,Fast her for 24 hrs.After the fast, feed her a bland gruel to see if she will eat and feel better. It is not unusual when they have diarrhea, to have blood in it because this is very irritating to the rectal mucosa and causes small blood vessels to break and bleed. Once this is resolved, she will feel better. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta