Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating large animals of all kinds.

I have an 11 year old Albino Doe who has suddenly got her

Customer Question

Hello my name is ***** ***** have an 11 year old Albino Doe who has suddenly got her right ear droopying down instead of erect as normal ,,could you advise me what to do regarding this please Thank you x
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: She is eating and drinking as normal ,,,her ears don`t appear to be red or cold in any way x
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Pet Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 7 months ago.

Good Morning Dianne and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

This sudden droop of the ear must be related to the nerve supply that is affecting the musculature holding the ear up. There may have been a minor injury to this area that affected the nerves that has caused this but there is no way to know. Dianne, if you do not see any infection or area that has been injured, then there is a possibility that a minor infection under the skin or tumor has been growing in this area that you cannot see that has blocked off this nerve supply. There is also a possibility that something such as a cervical nerve inflammation has caused this by only affecting this area so far.

The first thing I would do, Dianne, is to start your Doe on aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs for 10days. If you do not see any difference, then either have your vet examine her or just watch for any further signs of neurologic involvement that may pinpoint where this is coming from.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****