Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating large animals of all kinds.

We lost 5 1 month old calves today that looked fine and then

Customer Question

We lost 5 1 month old calves today that looked fine and then they were dead in about 4 hours no marks or any appearance that a predator had anything to do with it they had been moved to another wheat pasture about 2 weeks ago? Really puzzling????
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will not be able resurrect the large animal. What is the large animal's name?
Customer: The were 2 year Mom's first calves
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mom?
Customer: Mom's were thin may have had Selenium deficiencies all Mom's were given multi-min shots 1 week prior to calving that is all I can think might be a connection?
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 7 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about so many losses. This means that there has been a problem with calf/cow management or infectious disease. The best thing you can do to prevent any further losses is to take one of the most recent calves to your vet or the state lab for a necropsy. There may be an organism present that can be prevented or a management issue such as selenium deficiency or Vitamin B deficiency that could cause these deaths. without doing these necropsies, you may never know.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****