Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating large animals of all kinds.

I have a potbelly pig about 14 months old. s left eye is

Customer Question

I have a potbelly pig about 14 months old. His left eye is full of white, chunky gunk. I was wondering how to treat this. I've been cleaning it every day with a hot wet rag but it is getting worse. Any tips?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the pig's name?
Customer: Misha
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Misha?
Customer: No, other than the eye issue, he is pretty healthy. Just a tad bit overweight.
JA: Our top Veterinarian is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Veterinarian in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Veterinarian until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 7 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear about MIsha's eye. I know this must be painful to her. This may be an allergic reaction or an eye infection or conjunctivitis. The treatment for this is to flush the eye out with Artificial tears, available over the counter at the pharmacy by Bausch and Lomb, every 4 to 6 hrs. This will flush away any debris that may be causing Misha this condition and the infection. If there is an infection, this will not be curative and you will have to have your vet examine Misha's eye to be sure there is not a corneal ulcer that could be serious for Misha. This will require a flouescien stain to be sure there is not an ulcer before your vet can prescribe the correct treatment.

Start with the flush to see if that will be enough to help. You can also use Zatidor eye ointment which is an anti histamine that will combat any allergic reaction. This is also available over the counter at the pharmacy and is applied every 6 hrs.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta