Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating large animals of all kinds.

We just bought a 2 y/o cow that is heavy bred at 6 months.

Customer Question

Hi. We just bought a 2 y/o cow that is heavy bred at 6 months. However, before we could even get her home, she has stuff coming out of her back end that does not look like regular afterbirth. I am going to attach a picture. Can you please give us some insight into what is going on and what we need to do. We aren't sure if we need to get an emergency vet to look at her or if it is something that we just need to take her tomorrow for. Thanks in advance.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 7 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

This really looks like she is aborting the calf. Often, stress such as a change in the environment can cause this and there is no way to stop this after the cervix has opened. It is bets to have your vet clean her out and start over since she is quite young. There is a chance that this could be due to infection and it is wise to cover her with antibiotics.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****