Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.

I have an 8 year old neutered pot belly pig. He started

Customer Question

I have an 8 year old neutered pot belly pig. He started acting abnormally several days ago.He started wetting his bed. He would eat then go lay down right after. He would tuck his front legs under him bending at the knees. When he would stand up again he would limp on his front legs. The limping would switch off between left and then right. I gave him 2 baby aspirin 2 days ago. Yesterday he stopped any limping and he went back to normal behavior. This morning he was normal. This evening, he could barely get up and when he did his front legs seemed to painful to stand while eating his food. He would rock from right front to left front. He spilled all his food then he went and layed down. Then he got up and quickly ate and then again quickly played down. I tried taking his temperature but he wouldn't unclench his rectum. But he doesn't feel any warmer than usual. His nose is cold and wet.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. It could be an infection. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the baby's name?
Customer: Butchie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Butchie?
Customer: My guess is he weighs between 230-250lbs
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Based on Butchie's signs, it does sound like we have a persisting pain focus here. His reluctance to rise, limping, and urinating in his bed all suggest orthopaedic discomfort. In regards ***** ***** for this, we can see this with soft tissue injury (less likely if this is affecting multiple legs), joint infections, tick borne disease (depending on your location), or even bacterial septicaemia. Less commonly for pet pigs we can see this with an infection called Erysipelas; though we'd expect there to be skin changes here as well.

In any case, we do want him on an anti-inflammatory. Now it would be ideal to use a strong pig safe option (ie Meloxicam, Ketoprofen, Flunixin, Carprofen, etc) from his local vet. Otherwise, you can use Aspirin but would want to give a more weight appropriate dose. A 230lb pound pig would need to be on 1045mg every 12 hours to meet their minimum therapeutic dose for this drug (and as you used much less, that may be why we saw intermittent improvement only). Of course, as it can cause GI upset, it needs to be given after food and stopped if any GI signs arose.

Finally, since there are bacterial infectious causes for these signs, we'd be best to cover with a broad spectrum antibiotic (ie Penicillin). That way we can nip any of those bacterial issues in the bud before they can make him any more sore and poorly.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )