Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing veterinarian with over 20 years experience in a mixed animal practice.

Arthritis in an old wether, s knee joint is pretty swollen,

Customer Question

arthritis in an old wether, his knee joint is pretty swollen, he is about 200 lbs, and I was wondering how much aspirin to use
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the wether's name?
Customer: Louie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Louie?
Customer: No, he has been healthy, a visitng vet had said his hooves were not that bad, he has pain and a very swollen knee, he groans when he gets up, but he is getting up,
JA: Our top Veterinarian is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Veterinarian in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Veterinarian until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Linda replied 7 months ago.

Hello. This is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your question today.

I am so sorry that poor Louie is having such difficulties with his arthritis. The dose of aspirin for goats is 100 mg/kg which computes to 9000 mg every 12 hours for Louie. Goats require so much because their rumen destroys most of the medication.

I would look into buying aspirin boluses for large animals at your feed co-op, or you can crush the equivalent of 27 regular strength aspirin tablets each time.

I hope this helps & you find the information helpful. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Thank you.