Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.
60269376

Dear Dr.. I put on daily doses of Banamine paste and now he

Customer Question

Dear Dr. B.
I put Fred on daily doses of Banamine paste and now he is drinking too much water. This concerns me. Do you think I should go back to the Bute twice a day? He does seem less depressed on the Banamine. More active. Maybe he needed that water! I really am not sure.
***** *****
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have been using 3 81 mg aspiring each additionally. This is a last treatment to try to save this animal. You are taking too long to reply to my question. No vet in my area will take over a "goat's" care. It's inhuman. I have done all this treatment myself. If I fail I may not find a vet to put Fred into euthenasia. Please reply.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Good evening,

I do apologize for my delay, but as I am sure you can appreciate I can only reply when I am not in the clinics seeing my own patients. I am home now, so I can reply as needed. Still, can you tell me:

Are you using Banamine and Aspirin at the same time?

Can you give me an estimate of how much water he is drinking?

Does his urine look more watery?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
banamine and aspirin at the same time. Yes his urine looks more watery. He is drinking what I think is a normal amount. Usually he is like a camel and hardly drinks at all. But the water intake is noticeably doubled since the banamine. I think I should stop. In fact, Fred's had almost two whole weeks of treatment with these renal signs I think just continuing aspirin 3 81 mg a day is probably the best thing. He's had a lot of daily Uniprim and one prior dose of Liquamycin. I think his poor body is saying he cannot take any more treatment. ***** *****
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Hello Kelly,

I do share your concern for Fred.

First, as long as his water intake is within normal limits (1.3-2.2.L for the average goat), that isn't a major worry. Still, if the urine is dilute (you can check this with a urine refractometer which can be purchase online at sites like Amazon), then it does raise concerns of kidney dysfunction.

And in that case, we would want to consider weaning him off the non-steroidal anti-inflammatories (which Aspirin is also one just as the Banamine and Bute) as much as possible. So, if he can manage on 3x81mg of Aspirin that is such a low dose that it would be preferable to the other options. Otherwise, we would want to use the antacids we discussed to avoid stomach irritation (from the drugs or any uremic gastritis if the kidneys are compromised). Further to that though, we'd be limited in our treatment options for the kidneys (much of what is available is only for companion species). In this species, we tend to just try to increase fluid intake, supplement with electrolytes, and reduce kidney strain with drugs as we are planning to do.

Overall, if the urine is becoming overly watery, then we do need to tread with care. Any vet (no matter what they treat) should be able to check urine concentration for you or a refractometer is usually quite inexpensive. If the urine is overly dilute or with our suspicions, we'd need to think about reducing to the Aspirin alone if he can manage on that. But if he cannot or he shows deterioration, we'd have to think about letting him go. And if we did have to do so, local farm or equine vets should be willing to help you since it would be in their duty of care to help you prevent poor wee Fred from suffering.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Fred. How is everything going?
Dr. B.