Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.

I have a doeling born 1/27/16 and It has scours I am looking

Customer Question

I have a doeling born 1/27/16 and It has scours I am looking for a fever reducer for her. Why is Tylenol not good for them I do not have aspirin on hand and my vet wont give me banamine without a visit.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the large animal's name and age?
Customer: Sweet pea 7 weeks
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sweet?
Customer: She has had diarrhea is not very responsive I have been able to get her to eat some about 4 oz 3 times today half arrest but she is very listless. She has a fever around 105-107.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

First, I would note that any non-steroidal anti-inflammatories (NSAIDs) use with scouring patients needs to be done with great care. This is because all of those NSAIDs you noted can adversely effect the GI causing further diarrhea, vomiting, and stomach ulcers. So, while we do need to reduce that fever, we need to be careful while doing so. As well, we'd want to also be focusing on treating the cause of the diarrhea (bacteria, virus, protozoa, parasite cause, etc), slowing the diarrhea (ie Kaolin/Kaopectate), and keeping the Sweet Pea hydrated (drenching or stomach tubing electrolytes).

Further to the above treatment outline and in regards ***** ***** actual question, we don't use Tylenol for a few different reasons. The most important is that there isn't a safe established dose for this species. This means the risk of adverse effects is higher for them. Furthermore, besides those aforementioned adverse risks of using an NSAID like Tylenol, this drug carries some other risks. In overly high doses, we can see it bind the red blood cells to prevent oxygen uptake. This can lead to breathing difficulties, respiratory distress and collapse. Therefore, without knowing at what point this is a risk, this is a major reason to avoid Tylenol for goats. And is why we'd be best to take a trip to the store for buffered low dose aspirin to help reduce this fever while using the above to support Sweet Pea.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )