Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating large animals of all kinds.
16881297

Have a 140m calf we had to do a hard pull 2 days ago. calf

Customer Question

have a 140m bull calf we had to do a hard pull 2 days ago. calf is very alert, but isn"t using his frt legs. unfortunately, the person that pulled calf, didn't use a two point wrap on each leg and I'm sure calf is hurting because pull was done just aboce coronet band. Not broken though. gived colostrum supplement twice a day and also milked cow last night and gave two qrts from her. I have given 1 cc banamine this morning to help with pain. placed calf on hay bale twice today anjd message legs. have calf splints on frt legs. should I get some sort of calf sling, that I can lift calf up with? Is there a sling, that I can leave on calf lifted, until he gets strength in his damaged hocks, or is that too dangerous?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: no wound of any sort, probably just damaged tendens.
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. What is the calf's name?
Customer: MOOSE
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Moose?
Customer: NOPE, JUST AN UNFORTUNATELY HARD PULL AND NOT PUTTING CHAINS ON WITH 2 POINT PULLM ON EACH LEG.
JA: Our top Veterinarian is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Veterinarian in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Veterinarian until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Afternoon and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear about your bull calf but this is not unusual. Hopefully, the pull did damage the tendons by bruising but will only be temporary. It is best to splint the legs like you have done and use a hammock type of lift to pull him up periodically so that he can put weight on the legs to strengthen the legs and tendons. This can be 2-3 times per day for 30 minutes. I have had good results with 2-3 people 2-3 times per day holding the calf up to encourage walking. AS he grows, this will be more difficult but the hope is that scar tissue will fill in the defect of the injured tendons to help him walk on his own. It is also a good idea to give the Banamine once daily for the first 10 days or until he can balance on his own since this will relieve inflammation and pain.

With this type of injury from being pulled, there is always a chance that nerves and/or blood supply may have been damaged and the prognosis is not as good with these conditions. All you cam do is the best you can in these circumstances and have your vet check the calf if no response is seen within the first 7-10 days.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****