Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating large animals of all kinds.
16881297

My older male, neutered llama is breathing fast and has

Customer Question

My older male, neutered llama is breathing fast and has moments when he won't/can't get up.. and then a few hours later will be up walking around and looks fine... Lot's of rain and lots of fresh grass/weeds.. too much feed? Help!!
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Please call(###) ###-####and ask for Greg
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 9 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry but, due to my location, I am unable to make phone calls but would like to help.

Because of the rain and grass, there is a chance that your Bubba may be suffering from an allergic reaction that is causing this breathing difficulties and due to this, he is not apt to get up and move due to this distress. The treatment for this is steroids that you would have to have prescribed by your vet. Since Bubba is older, this could also eb due to severe arthritis that causes so much pain that he breathes hard and will not get up. This can also be treated with steroids or an anti inflammatory medication such as Banamine. We can often get a diagnosis based on the response to medication. If you have Banamine available, try this to see if this will affect Bubba.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****