CountryDoc
CountryDoc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Experienced mixed animal veterinarian
16703648

I have a baby dwarf billy. He is 4 weeks old and has been

Customer Question

I have a baby dwarf billy. He is 4 weeks old and has been fine until tonight. He is whining and can not stand. His stomach rumbles occasionally and he throws his head back like a spasm. What can we do?
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dan C., DVM replied 8 months ago.

Good Morning, and thank you for the question! Apologies for the delay, I just signed on this morning and saw your post.

I am very sorry to hear about your billy’s problem. Sudden occurrences such as these can be quite stressful, for you and the goat! I have a several questions that I need to ask you, so that we might get a better idea as to what’s occurring.

1): Is he still able to nurse, or are you bottle feeding him?

2): Is he able to urinate and defecate?

3): Where are you located?

4): Had his mother been vaccinated with anything prior to kidding (and if so, with what)? Also, had she received any BoSe before kidding?

5): Are you able to take his temperature (rectally with a digital thermometer works great!)? Normal for a kid should be between 101-103F.

6): Does he attempt to walk? Are all four limbs involved?

7): I need to know if he can feel anything with in his legs. Would you please give any of the affected limbs a firm but delicate poke with a semi-sharp object, such as the tip of a key, and see if he shows any type of pain response, or is he unaware that you are poking him?

8): If he is not eating, does he have a suckle response if you put the tip of your finger into his mouth?

9): Can you tell if he can see the areas around him?

Thanks, ***** *****’m looking forward to your replies.

-Dan C., DVM.

I just wanted you to know that I will be offline for a few hours, out working, but I’ll check for your response as soon as I return!