Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing veterinarian with over 20 years experience in a mixed animal practice.
75966804

I have a calf that keeps a runny nose and just seems low

Customer Question

I have a calf that keeps a runny nose and just seems low energy. It is hard to take her to a vet. I have given her a couple of shots from the vet three weeks ago but she still has the runny nose. She eats grain fine but does not graze a lot. She has plenty of hay and good grazing available. She drinks plenty but keeps the runny, sometimes yellow discharge from her nose
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the calf. What is the calf's name?
Customer: Granddaughters named her Annabelle. Vet recommended I give her a B12 shot. I bought the shot but just could not bring myself to inject that large of a dose :-( The calf is gaining weight. She weighs around 550 now and probably weighed about 300 when we got her but just can't seem to get rid of the sinus discharge
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Annabelle?
Customer: Just the low energy and runny nose. Thanks
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $13 after the Veterinarian responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Linda replied 9 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your question today.

I am very sorry about your concerns about Annabelle. Most likely she has a whopping case of shipping fever or Bovine Respiratory Disease Complex. Hopefully it has not progressed to pneumonia after 3 weeks. Without knowing what your veterinarian sent home with you 3 weeks ago, you need to get in contact with him again to get Annabelle on some of the big guns of antibiotics for the respiratory disease that she has, such as Draxxin, Micotil, Nuflor Gold or Baytril. Anything from the feed store will not cut it at this point, so do not even think of giving her penicillin, or LA 200. It will be a waste of money.

The best advice I can give you would be to have her examined by your veterinarian. 3 weeks is a long time to be sick. I know you said it is difficult to get her to the vet, can he make a farm call? If Annabelle's respiratory disease progresses too far, she may end up with scarred lungs & she will always be an unthrifty animal. Also, at this point, the B12 shot should be reserved until after you know more about what is going on.

Unfortunately, any over the counter treatments will just not be sufficient. Her respiratory disease is either very deep seated or possibly even resistant by this time. I hope you can have her examined soon.

I am sorry that I can not advise any other remedy except for contacting your veterinarian, but I do hope this is information that helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Thank you.