Dr-Bonk
Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian
Experience:  Five years as a veterinarian performing farm calls for livestock, including herd health checks, vaccinations, and pregnancy testing. Also operate a small cow/calf operation.
92155571

I have a cow that we had to drag out of the pond she has

Customer Question

I have a cow that we had to drag out of the pond she has been laying down for 3 days and can't get up. She has a good appetite I've been hand feeding her. she has a 2 week old calf that I've been bottle feeding. How long can she stay this way and what can I do ?
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will it be much longer before I get a reply?
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Bonk. If the cow has use of her legs but just isn't able to stand, she probably has a pinched nerve. These can take several weeks to heal. The problem with cows being down that long is that all of their body weight is constantly pressing down on those folded up legs and that can cause some problems. It's best to try to flip her from side to side several times a day so that she won't also be laying directly on the same side. Also, lifting her with the backhoe and letting her hang there with just gentle pressure on her feet for 30-60 minutes at a time will allow blood flow back in her legs. But if there is no improvement after a a week, chances are there won't be any improvement at all. I hope this helps. Sorry the response is so late. Please contact me with any further questions you may have. Thank you and good luck!