Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating large animals of all kinds.
16881297

I have a 10 month old heifer with a little bit of runny

Customer Question

I have a 10 month old heifer with a little bit of runny dieherra but has no appite
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: She a little slow moving and just stands in one spot unless I get her to move
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Large Animal Vets generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Last night she had pretty bad dieherra. It was never watery or bloody
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 9 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

This diarrhea can cause serious dehydration to your heifer so it is important to try to stop this. The best thing to do is to take a sample to your vet looking for either Coccidia or Giardia which are both treated with different medications. This could be a stress induced digestive disturbance so try giving this heifer Pepto Bismol , one bottle every 8 hrs by mouth. I would also strongly recommend that you worm her with an Ivermectin wormer since this can be the most common cause of diarrhea in cattle. If there is no change, then take the sample into your vet to determine if there is a parasite that is causing this.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you. Is there a vaccine or anything I can get to take care of the coccidia and Giardia

No, unfortunately, there is no vaccine but there are specific medications to treat each of these conditions. You just have to know which is causing this. Like I said before, worm with Ivomec first since the most common cause of diarrhea is a heavy worm load and this could fix the problem.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok. Thank you

You are very welcome! I hope your heifer feels better soon!!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I gave her the wormer and pepto. She wanted no part of the pepto she would take a little bit and try to spit it out. She hard a hard time swallowing it

THat is not unusual...you will have to use a dose syringe to get that into her. It is great that you gave teh wormer...that may resolve this.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta