Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating large animals of all kinds.
16881297

I have a 15month old simmental heifer that is falling down,

Customer Question

I have a 15month old simmental heifer that is falling down, she was walking very stiff legged in both back legs last evening, could get up with front legs then fall over, I couldn't get her back legs to bend at all, was bloated some , I gave her tetanus antitoxin, vit b, biomycin 200, asprin and probios. today she was up, walking stiff all over and up on her toes, stumbling and falling, now she can stand on her back legs but nothing with her front legs, lays with her head up, ears up, temp 100.8, eats feed, hay and drinks water. tries to get up when approached but doesn't seem to be able to see well
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 9 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

It is hard to know what may be causing this in your heifer but I would worry most about a traumtic injury. The medications are good to cover the most common causes for this but since this may be a serious back or neck injury, stronger anti inflammatory medications such as corticosteroids may be required. Founder is also a common cause so Banamine may be another good medication if steroids are not available. Check her for any signs of a traumatic injury especially if there is a bull in the pasture.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****