Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating large animals of all kinds.
16881297

Two dairy goats started limping this week My name is *****

Customer Question

Two dairy goats started limping this week My name is ***** *****
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: They both kidded 3 weeks ago. We've been milking them once a day. One day we just noticed a doe limping, favoring her front right leg. We took her to the vet and gave her 3 days of anti-inflammatory shots. This morning she is favoring a different leg, the front left. And I noticed the other doe is slightly limping today as well.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Large Animal Vets generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 9 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

It is not unusual for goats that have kidded to have a supressed immune system which can allow infection to invade into the joints. It is a good sign that the anti inflammatory medication has helped the first goat so this may be due to the weight and sress of kidding along with the milk production. Give them both aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs to see if this will resolve. If it has not,then have your vet examine them for a possible infectious cause that can be treated with antibiotics.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Dr. Loretta, thank you for your response. should I be concerned about hypocalcemia? I feed them compressed alfalfa hay and other grass hays but no grains, along with kelp and a bit of vitamin c powder. Should I be concerned about potential hypocalcemia or look to my vet for CMPK shots?

Hypocalcemia would be more severe for your girls than merely lameness so I doubt that this is the problem but giving CMPK injection will not hurt. Try the aspirin and see how they do....

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
She's not showing any signs of improvement. She still eats well but basically stands in front of the hay feeder all day and barely moves from it. She holds her front left leg up when she tries to walk or move.

I am so sorry to hear that. It appears that now is the time to try to determine what is causing this which will include lab work and xrays. Since she has not responded to the medication, this may be a permanent injury or due to something more serious.