Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  I have worked with different Animals from Horses to livestock
5071285

My potbellied pig was ok untill yesterday he squealed really

Customer Question

my potbellied pig was ok untill yesterday he squealed really bad for bout 20 mins then wouldnt walk he feel over and couldnt stand up i have him in the house now , he is just lying there he hasnt really moved only shaking
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: he is not eating and im giving him water via a bottle but he doesnt really want it , he wont move and seems to be having small seizure like movements , he was ok up untill yesterday , we changed his hay in his bed apart from that there is nothing different from his normally routine , he just fell sick suddenly
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Large Animal Vets generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years. I would like to assist you.

Can you tell me if you have checked the temperature? How high is it?

Any red spots on the body that you can see?

Has he been passing stool?

Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not yet we live way out in the country i am waiting on my partner bringing home a thermometer , no i dont see any red spots on him yes he went to the toilet yesterday before he fell ill , he feels cold too the touch and then after a while warm to the touch he is just lying very still he seemed to have the shakes yesterday but that has calmed down now i am trying to give him water via a bottle he is not eating
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

I would like to see you get the temp that is important. I would also like to see you start to give your Pig a 50/50 mixture of Dioralyte and water to drink. The Dioralyte is an electrolyte solution that should help prevent dehydration. One last thing I would like you to try now is to take a little Kayro syrup or Pancake Syrup on his gums. This will help with his glucose levels in case they have dropped with the shaking. I will wait for the Temperature to help further. Do not rate until we are done helping him.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

How is the Pig doing? Wanted to check in since I did not hear anything further.

Joan