Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

My Nigerian goat is losing hair by the handfuls. She is new

Customer Question

My Nigerian goat is losing hair by the handfuls. She is new to us, and is 2 mo pregnant
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm a licensed veterinarian with more than twenty years' experience. I'm here to help you with your question about your goat. I'm so sorry you're having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need. So I may know that we are properly connected and that you understand how the website works (including that I must earn your positive rating in order to receive any compensation for helping you) please type in a short reply. Once I know you're there, you can rest assured you'll have my full attention and we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.
Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am here
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Sorry ... I'd gone offline by the time you replied last night. I'm hoping we can continue our exchange this way. In the meantime, I'll explain the most common causes of hair loss in young and otherwise healthy young goats. I'll limit my list to those things that are NOT likely to be associated with other symptoms like going off feed or scours, etc.

• normal shedding (yes, when extreme this can produce bald patches)
  • hormonal changes associated with pregnancy
  • lice (you can see these and their eggs if you look closely)
  • fungal skin infections
  • other parasitic skin problems
  • bacterial skin infections
  • thyroid or adrenal gland problems

Those are the most common, listed in order. The vast majority of cases of excessive hair loss in goats that gets called into the vet's office are nothing other than normal shed, so that's a relief.

If you could upload a photo of your goat, I'd be happy to take a look at it.

Thank you.