Dr-Bonk
Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian
Experience:  Five years as a veterinarian performing farm calls for livestock, including herd health checks, vaccinations, and pregnancy testing. Also operate a small cow/calf operation.
92155571

I have a piglet that was stepped on right after birth, she

Customer Question

I have a piglet that was stepped on right after birth, she has a large wound on her flank area, with the muscle showing. This piglet was given to me as I do have experience with bottle babies but this cut is pretty bad. The people who had her had cleaned it and put skin banshee on edges with gauze to cover it.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Bonk. I'm sorry to hear about your piglet. The most important concept of wound care is cleanliness which isn't always easy with our outdoor animals. The best way to clean a dirty wound is to rinse with warm water. You may also flush the wound with a dilute betadyne or chlorohexadine solution. If there are any pockets under the skin around the edges, these will have to be flushed out 2-3 times a day to prevent an abscess.

If the skin around the edges is dark purple/black in color, it will most likely die and be sloughed. Be aware if this is the case, the wound will look worse before it looks better.

Vetricyn is a wonderful spray that can be used on all types of abrasions in all animals. It can even be used in the eyes and ears so it is a must-have for any animal owners. Most feed stores will carry it, as well as veterinary clinics. It can be sprayed on the wound 3-4 times daily.

If the wound becomes excessively red and painful, has an odorous discharge, or the piglet stops eating and becomes listless, antibiotics are needed. Piglets respond well to penicillin, tetracycline, and sulfa drugs.

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you and good luck!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Already using vetricyn just wanted to make sure I was doing all I could. Thanks
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 1 year ago.

Great! Just keep it clean. Babies usually heal very quickly, so she has that going for her! Please let me know how she does.

Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 1 year ago.

I just remembered another product, Granulex spray, that could work on the piglet. It helps promote healthy granulation tissue production to help fill in large areas.