Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.
60269376

Bactracillin G Penicillin, can it be injected IM?
, I

Customer Question

JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have a cow with swelling under the jaw towards the mouth, penicillin reduces it but does not totally get rid of it. She is in a remote pasture, I'm 79 have to rope her or use my dart rifle. The says SQ only.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Large Animal Vets generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

In regards ***** ***** question, Bactracillin G can be given intramuscularly at a dose of 3,000 units per pound of body weight (1 mL per 100 lbs body weight). When treating, do so daily (usually for 2-3 days) and continue one day past full recovery. If the abscess doesn't settle or recurs, then we may need to lance it, sample the discharge for culture/sensitivity testing, and treat with an antibiotic that the bacteria is found vulnerable to on that testing.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.